Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A comparison of Ganga's and Royal Maharajah

Before HK's own Royal Maharajah was opened, Ganga's enjoyed flocks of students from HK into their restaurant for some months and now that Royal Maharajah is opened, I think they still do as Ganga's does have lots of appeals of its own over Royal Maharajah.

Here's my few peanuts of thoughts on  these 2.

1.Value for money: For the price it asked for,we would have expected a bigger portion from Royal Maharajah..it's fair to say that the serving dish at Ganga's provide a bit of an optical illusion that its serving portion is bigger but really, my stomach don't lie...However, we were told by the manager of Royal Maharajah that the ingredients they used are imported from India and Germany whereas Ganga's use local ingredients...which explains their reason for the higher pricing-to-smaller portion. If ya asking me, I'd rather have them use local ingredients...not that I could tell the difference between a Czech chicken and German chicken.

2. Atmosphere: Don't know which restaurant owned the lot Ganga's in now but Ganga's retained some its mural that we are dead sure aren't reflective of the Indian culture...haha..Royal Maharajah on the other hand prides itself in offering a sight of Indian culture and so you do get the feeling that you have entered an Indian restaurant especially  because of the altar for Hindu gods welcoming you at the entrance.

3. Taste: I haven't been to both of these restaurants as much as I like to, but on some occasions , I do order the same dishes eg. Butter Chicken at Royal Maharajah...which was um..a bit different on the 4 different times I have eaten it. Is it too much to ask for consistency??

4. Menu range:  Both restaurants offer a wide range of dishes....so much that you are confused temporarily at what to order...but I have to go with Royal Maharajah's for this one...cos they have lady's fingers/ okra!!!!!


5. Presentation of dishes: Thumbs up to both for using serving dishes that reflects an Indian meal experience...but maybe a bit extra to Ganga's for using ones that makes us feel the portion is bigger than it really is...:-P

6. Space: Ganga's has a really small space and because it's located at the basement level, it feels even smaller. It can't sit many patrons and so, it's highly recommended to reserve before hopping on a train to Pardubice. 

7. Location: Ok, not only is Royal Maharajah is right in HK, it's also 2 shops away from my flat...how lucky is that? :-P But really, both restaurants are easy to find as they are located in each city's Old Town area.

So well, I think all things considered, it's a bit of a tie between them. But if  I have time and want to feel like I am on a little holiday, I'll head for Ganga's...heeee

No comments:

Post a Comment