Monday, October 25, 2010

Hainanese Chicken Chop

Yes yes I know....it's been a long while since I posted up anything...I actually have so many food pics from my summer break in Malaysia, China and Singapore to share but my stupid internet will lag with all the GBs. =_=

Anyway, the new study year has started for me [Hello, sweet life of a 4th year!]. Seems like 4th years will have it easy but this is like the calm before the storm...5th year is reportedly hell-ish. But hopefully, this year will mean I have more time to experiment. Hee...

I have not transferred the picture for this post yet  but thought I'll just write down the recipe lest I forget it. Cos I really like it. :-P [Ta-da! Finally got my lazy ass up to reach for the transfer cord...^_^]


Hainanese chicken chop is another dish I grew up with. My family frequently go to Yut Kee at Jalan Dang Wangi, KL and I always order the same dish. We order other dishes like fried noodles etc but for me, this is the tops. I will literally lick the plate clean; including the sauce. :-D

The dish calls for a deboned chicken thigh. I have absolutely no idea how to. Of course, I searched it up. :-)
Turns out to be really easy! [Click to learn] And my dissecting skills comes in handy too. LOL....maybe I even have the makings of an orthopedic surgeon! Hehe...for chickens.

 Although I have a rough idea of how to cook it, I needed some guides to follow. There's not that many Hainanese chicken chop recipes around so I am really thankful to have found it at Rose's Kitchen. I had to modify it as I don't have certain ingredients and I had some extra ideas.

------------------------------------


Ingredients:
Chicken thigh, deboned. Do not remove the skin!
Salt
Pepper
Maggi seasoning sauce
Plain flour
Corn starch
1 egg, beaten
Oil for deep frying

Method:
  1. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
  2. Coat chicken with egg and dredge in corn starch. 
  3. Coat chicken again with egg and this time dredge in plain flour.
  4. Deep fry chicken until golden brown.  Dish out onto a serving plate.
 **I must have heard somewhere that double coating makes the chicken taste better and can maintain its crispiness and lock in moisture etc etc.....:-P


Ingredients for Gravy:
Potato wedges
~50g butter [I know it's ~50g cos its the same amount I cut up for my cornflake cookies ^_^]
Garlic, minced [Ooooh, I love my new garlic crusher from IKEA!]
Chicken granules [They have some thickening element so I didn't need to add cornstarch to thicken the sauce]
Onion wedges
Tomato wedges
Green peas [**]
Sweet corn [**]
Diced carrots [**]
 Salt
Pepper
Sugar
Maggi seasoning sauce
Lemon juice; adjust to taste [gives a slight tangy sour taste!]
[**I don't have these but it's good to have them...taste good and looks good]

Method:
  1. Deep fry the potato wedges to half cook them.  Dish out and drain on paper towels.
  2. Melt up the butter in another pan and saute the garlic.  Add the half-cooked potato wedges and the chicken granules. Add water to pan.  Cook over a low fire.
  3. Add the onion and tomato wedges, green peas, sweet corn and dice carrots to gravy
  4. Add seasoning to taste. 
  5. Pour gravy over chicken chop and enjoy!
---------------------------------------------

Verdict:
It's surprisingly good! :-P The fried chicken has a really good and slight crispy texture to it despite being drenced in the gravy. The gravy tastes good but I am gonna experiment more with it to perfect it more...:-)

p/s: I made this again and then I realised I didn't write down lemon juice as part of the ingredients for the gravy! This is really important  for me cos I remember Yut Kee's gravy had this slight tangy-sourish taste that I couldn't place. Somehow, I managed to get that taste with lemon juice. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment