Thursday, November 18, 2010

Kangkung Belacan


Kangkung [water convolvulus] is no doubt one of my favourite GREEN vegetable [yes! there's vege that's not GREEN!!! --> brinjal! ^_^]. Anyway, when I was in Malaysia, I took it for granted cos it's so easily found. I remember when I was in Standard 4@5 and at that time, hydroponic growing was all the rage; everyone had a hydroponic set at home....and we even have those planting projects in school. Kangkung was one of the easiest to grow on the set....so super-duper easy that it was like weed! Mum used to put the set next to the washing machine in a neat, little space at the back part of the houseand when the kangkung's all grown up, it was like our washing machine landed  in a jungle.

Here in Czech Republic....so far,I could only find it in Prague's Thai Asian Food Shop...and not for a cheap price either ~45CZK a packet ~200grams[??] [I'll probably get a big bag of it for the same price in Malaysia...:-P]

I was so tempted to carry a hydroponic set from home; so that I could plant on my own. [My heavy often overweight luggage plus the fact I have to lug it back using train/ bus to HK dissuaded that idea..]

My favourite way of eating kangkung is belacan-style! Ok...though to be honest, when I have to cook it, I was kinda cursing cos the smell was so strong, it permeated the whole flat. But eating it.....mmmmmmm...^_^ heeee....!

I don't exactly know how it's usually cooked..but this is what I did...lol..

Ingredients:
Kangkung
A pinch of belacan [According to Sara, use belacan like how you use salt...:-P]
Salt
Garlic
Chillies
Pepper
Water

Methods:
  1. Wash kangkung thoroughly
  2. Mix belacan with some water [so that it won't get burned when you fry it first]. Crush it into small pieces
  3. Heat up oil in wok. Saute the belacan. Add in the garlic and chillies.
  4. Add in kangkung....and proceed with a strong heart as you watch the amount of kangkung shrinks before your eyes...:-( Add seasonings.
  5. Give it a few rounds of quick wokking
  6. Dish it out
  7. Eat with rice :-)
Verdict:
Me and Yumi were nearly tearing up [Ok, so I did all the tearing...she's pretty resistant to chillies] over the amount of chillies I used. SO! Do use your chillies with caution! You want to enjoy your kangkung, not cry from it. But other than that, I wish I could have this dish often....

Ok, actually even in Malaysia, I don't really eat this that often. Some old Chinese advice about it causing/ increase risk of gout etc...not sure what is in kangkung that causes that. But with my luck with my joints, I best be careful about this.  :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment